The Warrior Way
It is appropriate that our nickname is the Warriors, as the very definition of the word offers many lessons on how we and our students can live our lives.
Warrior: war·ri·or (/wawr-ee-er, wawr-yer, wor-ee-er, wor-yer) (Fr 1250–1300; Middle English werreieor <Old North French, equivalent to werrei ( er )) –n a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or assertiveness.
We as Warriors of St. Matthew School will be people who show great energy and enthusiasm, who are wisely courageous and brave, and who will assertively and ardently attack the task at hand. We will do so by modeling and embodying these points:
- Warriors live by a code that pays homage to the ultimate Warrior deserving of respect. “The Lord is a warrior; the Lord is His name” (Ex 15:3). We will be a CATHOLIC SCHOOL, not just a school that happens to be Catholic.
- True Warriors show loyalty everywhere in their clan, with “common features including valuing honor in the forms of faith, loyalty and courage.” We will be true to God and take care of ourselves, our families, our school, our parish, and our community in the model of Jesus and the Apostles.
- Each Warrior has strengths and a valuable contribution to make. Every member of the clan has a place and a job and fulfills it for the good of himself or herself and for the clan. We will encourage and develop the strengths of each and every student and staff member.
- Warriors are fierce in the protection and development of their young to follow them. We will work in partnership with our parents, the School Commission, the North Deanery, and the Office of Catholic Schools to ensure that students receive the best education, value those contributions, and make our successes known.
- The best Warriors are intelligent and respected as wise and resourceful. With their uncanny perception, they are superbly adaptable to live within their environment. We will develop life skills and real-world qualities in our students to prepare them for the challenges of high school and the 21st century.
- The most successful Warriors cooperate and work together. We will be good citizens and models for our world, show respect in all we do, and work collaboratively for the betterment of all.
- The behavior of Warriors will live up to the highest ideals of discipline. “The code of the Warrior defines not only how he/she should interact with his/her own Warrior comrades, but also how he/she should treat other members of his/her society.” We will maintain high expectations and behave in a manner befitting St. Matthew students and staff members.
- Warriors live by a Code of Honor and do not quit. Rather, they persevere to uphold it. “In many cases this code of honor holds the Warrior to a higher ethical standard than that required for an ordinary citizen within the general population of the society the Warrior serves.” We believe that to those to whom more is given, more is, indeed, expected, and we will serve and act in this manner.
- All Warriors, students, staff, parents, and parish, will be joyful.