SPIRITUAL LIFE COMMISSION spiritually engages adult parishioners on their journey through the celebration of the liturgy and faith. Leslie Kerr and Pat Witt
Altar Society is responsible for weekly cleaning of the main sanctuary, daily chapel, prayer chapel, and front and back sacristies. Meets Friday or Saturday morning (as scheduled) to clean the church. Chris Brunette, (317) 815-5953
Arts and Environment Committee oversees beautification of the church for celebrations and events. John Shank, 317-556-2055
Bereavement Ministry. Through its St. Rita Bereavement Ministry, the Spiritual Life Commission reaches out to fellow parishioners who have recently lost a loved one. As commission members learn about someone’s loss, they will send a note/card. Their wish is that those who are grieving will know that the St. Matthew Community is praying with them and for their family. Please let us know if you or a fellow parishioner has lost someone. The grieving person’s name and address, along with the deceased person’s name, can be emailed here. You might wonder why the commission calls this ministry the “St. Rita Bereavement Ministry.” St. Rita trusted God totally and prayed for her needs and wants. She is a patron saint of the impossible, for widows, and for the lonely.
Bible Study reads and discusses Old and New Testament books and related topics. Leslie Kerr, 501-590-6673
Cursillo Movement is a lay movement within the Catholic Church that shares the fundamentals of being a Christian as an individual and as a community. By living a fully Christian life, we bring Christ to others in our everyday settings of home, work, and daily activity. The Cursillo Movement offers a method and a technique to provide each of us with the tools, the mentality, the strength, and the support to make this natural type of evangelization possible. Parish liaison Kevin Janowicz
FORMED is a wonderful website that has been called a “Catholic Netflix.” St. Matthew has purchased a parish-wide subscription to FORMED On Demand, which provides access to inspiring movies, video-based studies, audio talks, and e-books from the Church’s most compelling speakers and authors. Our parish has invested in FORMED so each of us might grow in our relationship with Jesus Christ and learn about and share our faith. All St. Matthew parishioners have free, unlimited access to FORMED, 24/7 on a smartphone, computer, iPad, or Kindle. PLEASE NOTE: You can purchase additional content called “FORMED Market,” but our FORMED On Demand subscription provides a huge amount of material without cost to you. It takes just two easy steps to register:
- Go to formed.org. Our parish code is 4X3C73.
- Click “Register Now” and enter your name, email address, and desired password.
July 4 Tri-Parish Mass and Breakfast is celebrated at and hosted by Saint Matthew Parish on Independence Day.
- Altar Servers assist the Celebrant at Mass, grades 5-8. Loral Tansy
- Eucharistic Ministers assist the Celebrant in distribution of the Body and Blood of Christ at the Eucharist. Pat Witt, 317-270-8338
- Eucharistic Ministers to the Homebound and Assisted Living Centers take Communion to people who are unable to attend Sunday Mass. Contact the parish office.
- Mass Coordinators perform traditional sacristan duties and oversee other liturgical ministers before Mass. Pat Witt, 317-270-8338
- Proclaimers/Lectors proclaim the Word of God (first and second readings) and lead the Prayers of the Faithful at Sunday Mass and other liturgies. Marie Carson, 317-257-4297, extension 2212
- Ushers seat people, collect the offering, and coordinate the presentation of the offertory gifts for weekend Masses. Jack Godfrey, 317-257-2218
Music Ministry offers music leadership for weekend Masses and other liturgical celebrations. Our music community is a great place to serve by leading others in song, learning skills that encourage artistic beauty and creativity, and glorifying God with the music gifts He has given us. There are many ways to participate for all ages. If you are interested in being involved, please contact Debbie Ward, Director of Music, to learn about all the great options available at 317-257-4297, extension 2213. Masses at 5 p.m., 9:30 a.m., and 11:30 a.m. always need vocalists and instrumentalists.
- Choir: Meets every Sunday, 10:15-11:30 a.m., in the parish music room for rehearsal and provides music for 9:30 a.m. Mass as scheduled.
- Youth: Vocal teams assist in leading music for Mass and special occasions based on availability.
- Musicians: Instrumentalists are needed for 5 p.m., 9:30 a.m., and 11:30 a.m. weekend Masses.
- Handbells: Rehearsals and performances are scheduled based on group participation and availability.
- Contemporary Music Ensemble leads music for two Masses a month and is led by Colleen Perron.